At Augustine, our goal is to build an environment that inspires creatives to do the brightest work of their career. We are looking for an experienced brand storyteller that sparks behavior change with consumers. You will join a lively team doing breakout work on a national stage. If you’re one part team player, one part self-editor and all other parts have a passion for creating magic words and big ideas, we’d love to meet you. Yes, we’re looking for that unicorn that loves the variety of creating short, punchy headlines side-by-side with long-form blog content and tall-on-information client kits.
Sound like you? Write on. Apply and make sure to include a link to your portfolio.
The Senior Copywriter occupies a mid-level/management level creative position in our agency. This person assists the Group Creative Director with every aspect of completing creative and copy projects and is expected to work in creative partnership with client services, digital services, public relations and creative services to conceive, develop and produce strategic brand messaging solutions and integrated marketing campaigns.
The Senior Copywriter is expected to understand the differences and write effectively for print, digital content platforms, and social media, including writing for varied brand voices, target audiences, personas and demographic profiles. This person works in all phases of project development, from the initial proposal through concepting, copywriting, and proofing and must have a background in multiple disciplines including, but not limited to, design, copywriting, digital content, branding, and/or marketing. The Senior Copywriter takes full creative, fiscal and production responsibility for any project.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Writes strategic, clear, persuasive and original copy for various mediums including but not limited to proposals, presentations, ads, scripts, social media, websites, brochures, etc. Amends and revises campaigns according to feedback from Creative Director and clients. Strong proofreading skills required for proofing own and others’ copy. Understanding of brand voice and tone, and brand messaging strategy is also necessary.
- Research/Trends. Keeps up to date with current culture, trends and creative ideas. Researches new trends as it relates to specific clients, industries and projects–sharing and educating team members along the way. Maintains current working knowledge of computer-related skills, software and programs.
- Planning/Organizing. Meets with client services team to discuss client requirements and background on each job. Works on several campaigns at once; ability to self-manage tight deadlines, many different personalities; all under pressure.
- Workflow Management. Monitors and manages workflow, sets priorities and assigns projects to designers to help best ensure the success of the project. Works with the Traffic, Production Managers and Creative Directors to maintain and improve workflow processes.
- Digests and understands client corporate identity and branding guidelines and technical restraints. Helps to manage the client’s brand through design integrity and consistency.
- Works closely with account services to solve marketing problems through smart, well-designed advertising and collateral materials that help sell product, and maintain a good image for clients and agency. Helps clients define and solve the most complex communications problems. Conducts competitive research and analysis for specific projects. Vendor and photo image research. Strong business understanding and financial skills.
- Brainstorming/Concepting. Attends creative brainstorming meetings (along with internal team members) to develop creative strategies and implements all requirements including copy for presentation decks, proposals, ad layout, etc. Provides additional creative concepting support to Designers and Art Directors.
- Creative Direction. Assists in directing the creative product at the agency (including freelance writers) to assure a high level of quality and appropriateness in the projects. Works closely with the Account Services team and clients to develop concepts and strategies for creative execution. Participates in agency creative meetings and idea sessions, as well as client meetings when necessary.
- Creative/Content Development. Writes storyboards and provides concepts for projects and/or campaigns to meet approved strategic marketing objectives. Works with Client Services to understand the strategy, create technical and business parameters to develop innovative, effective and creative solutions. Independently concept, write and produce creative for agency’s clients. Recognizes project creativity/profitability tradeoffs. Self-manage creative projects, including setting priorities and meeting deadlines. Presents creative concepts and rationale behind creative to the project team. Leads and/or participates in agency creative meetings.
- Quality Assurance. Establishes and maintains proofing procedures to help ensure the quality and integrity of the agency’s designs.
- Creative Presenting. Sells creative internally or to clients at the creative director’s or account executive’s request. Represents the agency at creative/professional/civic functions.
- Business Development. Participates in the development of new business for agency by writing agency case studies and content for proposals.
- Mentors and trains Junior Copywriters, Production Designers, Production Assistants, and Interns. Participates in new business materials development and pitches. Helps set and achieve departmental goals.
- Advises, coaches and partners with a cross-functional team on goal development, project delivery, solution deployment, as well as revenue generation techniques. Works with Operations, VP, Creative Director and Creative Director to determine staffing strategy and develop employee growth plans, utilization goals and performance appraisals. Interviews and screens applicants for creative positions as well as hiring and terminating. Coordinates reviews with Creative Director.
- Agency Management. Participates as an active member of the Management team, representing the Creative Services team and the agency.
- Other duties may be assigned.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required for this position.
- Language Skills. Has the ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Is able to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Possesses the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the public.
- Written Skills. Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; is able to read and interpret written information.
- Reasoning Ability. Has the ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Is able to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Mathematical Skills. Has the ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals; is able to compute rate, ratio and percent.
- Computer Skills. Is able to perform this job successfully; individual should have knowledge of database, Internet, project management, spreadsheet and word processing software.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving. Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management. Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and within budget; manages project team activities.
- Technical Skills. Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service. Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills. Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication. Listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Quality Management. Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Business Acumen. Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition. Assumes responsibility for retention of assigned business. Identifies opportunities for expansion of existing business.
- Cost Consciousness. Works within approved budget.
- Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; educates others on the value of diversity; promotes a harassment-free environment; builds a diverse workforce.
- Treats people with respect; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethics; upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support. Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities.
- Displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
- Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence.
- Planning/Organizing. Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
- Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Meets productivity standards; completes work in timely manner; strives to increase productivity.
- Safety and Security. Observes safety and security procedures; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality. Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Volunteers readily; seeks increased responsibilities; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation. Displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
Qualifications / Skills
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university
- 8 or more years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- A solid understanding of grammar AP style guides
- Experience in shopper marketing, retail and CPG is a plus, as these are our core verticals
- Must have ability to perform each essential duty satisfactorily
Location / Travel
This is a full-time position. We are a hybrid team working remotely, but with expectations to meet in person as often as necessary for client/project goals.
Perks and Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance
- Paid holidays
- Paid vacation, plus additional paid week for winter break
- Summer Fridays
- Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs)
- Referral incentive programs (client and employee)
We are proactive, insight-driven, cross-category Visioneers with a passion for affecting consumer behavior.
For more than 25 years, Augustine has been creating visionary ideas that fuel growth and deliver ROI for our clients. The Visioneers at Augustine Agency work with our clients to take their goals and needs and craft them into a unique Vision. Next, we deliver strategy-driven creative that disrupts, changes behavior and drives unparalleled results.
At Augustine Agency, we also provide an environment that trains talent to become Visioneers and inspire them to do the brightest work of their career.
Our case study results, happy clients and long-term relationships speak for themselves. Let us tackle your biggest challenges and accomplish your Vision.
We would love to learn a little bit more about you! At Augustine we believe that our people are our most valuable asset, and we are committed to providing a dynamic environment where everyone can be their best. And we believe in data and analytics. For those reasons we have partnered with The Predictive Index (PI). Along with your application, would you also please take a few minutes to complete the survey on the link below? This survey helps us to become more aware of what drives and motivates us and those we work with.
This is not a test; it is a survey and literally takes only five minutes and doesn’t require preparation. There are no right or wrong answers. Just be relaxed about it and don’t overthink your choices. You will receive a copy of your results after completing the assessment.
We look forward to hearing from you!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer